Saturday, February 21, 2015

Castles, Cathedrals, and Coffee: the Travels of First Break

Hello again! In the time between my last post and this one, I've been getting to know the new group a lot better, and have been getting back into the routine of classes at the Center and at Anglia Ruskin. It was literally in a blink of an eye that our first break from classes at the Center was upon us. While most everyone else went off galavanting to Spain and Italy, I decided to stay here and travel around England with Jessica.

Our first trip was to Dover for the day. I really wanted to go to Dover because Dover Castle looked cool, and I really wanted to see the White Cliffs. As it turns out, I really saw neither of those things. For starters, we didn't check to make sure that the castle would be open on the Friday that we went. We got into Dover and walked all the way up to the castle (which is on top of one of the cliffs, so it was quite a hike) and found that it was closed. Needless to say, we were quite disappointed, but did get a few pictures of the outside of the castle.

Dover Castle

The next item on our agenda was to get a good view of the White Cliffs. Since Dover Castle is on top of the cliffs, we had to go back down and walk along the pier in order to get a good view. Now, the way down from the castle to the pier was this long, winding road. Jess and I decided that we didn't want to go the long way around to get to the road, so we walked a little ways to a sheep pasture and hopped a fence and walked down a hill toward the end of the road. It was a lovely walk and not at all illegal or unsafe.

The first fence we hopped

The field we walked through

Finally we got down to the pier and started to walk toward the White Cliffs. However, we realized that if we were going to get a really good view of them, we would need a car to drive toward them, because they were just too far away by walking. So we didn't end up getting a good view of the cliffs, although we did spend some time on the beach watching the waves come in and out.


The best picture of the Cliffs I could get

Overall, it was a fun trip because we got to see and do some things that no law-abiding citizen would see, but I would love to go back again and actually see the castle.

Our second trip was to see Windsor Castle. We made sure ahead of time that the castle would be open when we got there, because let me tell you, it takes a long time and four different trains to get there. Luckily, it was open for the day, and because it was winter, the State Rooms were also open. We got to see St. George's Hall, with hundreds of different family crests on the walls and ceiling, and the entryway staircase displaying hundreds of different guns, swords and other weapons that show the might of England to any visitor that comes to Windsor.

My favorite part was in the late afternoon when the sun came out from behind the clouds and we got some really great pictures of the castle and of St. George's Chapel. It was the perfect way to end the day and end our weekend of travel.

Windsor Castle

St. George's Chapel

While working at Target over the summer, I had a lady come through my line who had studied abroad in England when she was in college. When I asked her what her favorite place in England was, she said York. So Jess and I planned our last day trip to York.

Our day got off to a lovely start when we took a nap on the first train, got coffee while waiting for our second train, and met a man native to York, who gave us lots of great tips for things to see in York. It got weird on our second train because there was an Oompa Loompa in the next car. I kid you not. This man had green hair, an orange face, and was dressed in purple and white. There were many times where he was coming toward me from the other car and I thought I was going to be turned into a blueberry. Luckily, he didn't get off in York.

If I didn't live in Cambridge, I would definitely choose to live in York. It is the perfect combination of ancient and modern, of small town and urban city. It is surrounded by a nearly intact Roman wall, and you can walk around the entirety of it. The center of the city has lots of small local shops. Jess and I stopped into a used bookstore where they were selling first edition and other old copies of many great writers, such as Shakespeare, Tennyson, Hardy, etc. We also had the chance to have afternoon tea at Molly's Tea Room, which we would absolutely recommend.

Roman Wall

We got the chance to see York Minster, which is incredibly big, and very intricately designed. We also saw the remnants of York Castle, and a road in the city called the Shambles, where the buildings are medieval and crooked and leaning. In some places, they are so close together that you can lean out the upper story windows and shake hands across the street.

York Minster

The Shambles

York Castle

It was a great break and I love traveling with Jessica. We have pretty similar tastes when it comes to things we want to do, so it was nice having a traveling partner that was equally as excited about what we were doing. 

Yesterday marked the three month mark: three months until I return to Denver. Matt, our director, asked me the other day if I have thought about coming home, and I told him that I don't even want to think about it. But I do think about it quite a lot actually. It still baffles me how fast time has gone. I mean, it's nearly March. And it's only going to move faster from here on out. It doesn't feel like I've been here for six months, and it certainly doesn't feel like I'm going back to the US soon. I would be lying if I said that I wanted to come home--I am home. 

I know I've still got time, so I'm going to live it up, take lots of pictures, and have the time of my life in what I've got left. As always, questions, comments, and donations are always accepted! (And props to you if you made it all the way through this blog--sorry, it was a long one!)

Until next time,

Stephanie 



No comments:

Post a Comment