Monday, September 8, 2014

A Weekend Away in London

I just got back from a weekend in London, and I can't believe how much we packed into three days. Granted, we didn't see that many things but when you include travel time on the Tube (with lots of construction and line closures), I really didn't have all that much down time. And that was okay. I got to see revisit things I had already seen, as well as see a bunch of new things.

 I was struck once again by how many years of history were around me as I was walking through Westminster Abbey. There were kings from the Middle Ages buried there alongside pictures of the royal wedding from just a few years ago. The wide span of history represented in that church is fascinating. Queen Elizabeth I is probably my favorite English monarch, so it was exciting to finally see her final resting place in Westminster Abbey.

I also really enjoyed the Houses of Parliament. I had never been inside Westminster Palace before Saturday. That was a new experience I thoroughly enjoyed, so thoroughly, in fact, that there were times when I felt that everything else was gone and I had been completely transported into the past. As I stood in Westminster Hall, I could imagine big banquet tables and a huge throne where Henry VIII sat as he watched his court dance. I could see large groups of judges assembled on a more somber occasion, and Guy Fawkes and the conspirators in the Gunpowder Plot being tried for treason. In the hall where Parliament used to meet before the two houses were built, I could imagine William Wilberforce standing up and delivering a speech, arguing to abolish slavery in England. Like I've said before, it's a very powerful experience to be able to stand in a place where so much history has taken place.

I would have to say that my favorite thing that we did was nothing historical. That's pretty shocking for me, since I love history so much. My favorite thing was when we went as a group to see the play Matilda performed at the Cambridge Theatre. It was based on the children's book by Roald Dahl, and I have to say it was so much better than what I remember of the movie. The sets were fantastic. The desks for the classrooms would raise right out of the stage, and things would fall from the ceiling. My favorite song was called "When I Grow Up," because all of the children were featured in this song, swinging on swings that dropped down from the rafters. However, I think what impressed me the most was the emphasis on learning, knowledge, and storytelling. I loved that it was such a big deal that Matilda knew how to read and expand her mind, and that she was able to come up with fantastic stories to entertain other people. Creativity is a wonderful thing, and I love that you can find it in books.

We're all back in Cambridge now, and I'm happy to say that I don't have to travel anywhere for awhile. While I like traveling and seeing new places, it's really nice to take it easy for awhile and settle into a routine. I'm excited to spend some time exploring Cambridge for awhile.

Until next time,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment